Wow... January is already almost over. 2015 is well underway, and this year is shaping up to be one of the best ones yet. However, I feel there could be a road bump coming up if I don't make sure I'm prepared... tax season is here!
If you haven't started already, it's time to start thinking about filing your taxes. This season is one that many of us dread because it brings added stress and frustration. Doing your taxes doesn't have to be a headache.
If you plan to file your taxes on your own, without the help of a professional, there are some things you should keep in mind. Here are 6 tips to help avoid the stress that filing taxes can bring and get this chore out of the way as soon as possible.
- Keep your tax forms organized
- Set aside some distraction free-time and space
- Be patient with yourself as you learn how to do your own taxes
- You don't have to do it all in one sitting - you can take breaks
- Look things up if you have any questions
- Do your taxes as soon as you have all the forms
If you do not plan to self-file your taxes, be sure to choose a competent tax preparer.
- Be sure to check the preparer's qualifications, history, and service fees before filing your return.
- Keep in mind the complexity of your return and your accessibility to your preparer. If you have questions, you will want for them to be readily available to answer them.
- Ask your friends and family for their recommendations as well.
Remember these tips and use them to your advantage during this busy tax season to help reduce your stress and get your taxes done early.