Well, Groundhog Day came and went, and it looks like we've got 6 more weeks of winter in store. I know very few people who would say that winter is their favorite season... if you're anything like me, you were hoping that groundhog had a different prediction!
For the rest of us who aren't fans of these cooler months, here are a few interesting "life hacks" from the Weather Channel to help us conquer the season:
- To get more grip on slick surfaces, place a few zip ties on your bike tires for better traction.
- Take shorter, lukewarm showers. You'll avoid getting dry skin.
- Put a piece of tin foil behind your radiator or space heater. If will reflect heat back into the house instead of losing it forever.
- When you're done cooking a meal in the oven, leave the door open. The heat will fill the house instead of being wasted.
- Run your ceiling fan clockwise and on a low setting to push warm air back to floor level.
- Leave your window shades and blinds open in the daytime to let the sun naturally heat the house.
- Park the car with your windshield facing east so the sun can melt snow on the windshield and warm the car. You won't have to blast the heater when you climb in.
- Ice on frozen door handles can be melted off with hand sanitizer.
- Likewise, a spray of WD-40 can keep a keyhole from getting frozen.
- Put a hot water bottle or two in your bed just before you climb in, and you won't be getting in a cold bed anymore.
I hope that you are having a successful, happy 2015 so far!