Bad weather has been hitting our nation hard over the last few weeks. During this time of year, at the peak of hurricane season, it's important that we make sure we are prepared for anything that Mother Nature may send our way. I went and did a little research, and here is a list of supplies that you will benefit from having on hand in case the weather turns bad quickly:
- Non-perishable food and water in your home, enough to last your family 3-5 days. Here are some of foods you will want to consider:
- Dry cereal
- Peanut butter
- Canned fruits and vegetables
- Canned juice
- Ready-to-eat soups / canned meat
- Quick energy snacks and crackers
- A good stock of:
- DO NOT INCLUDE CANDLES. Candles have been known to cause more fires during and after a disaster than anything else!
- A fully stocked First Aid kit
- Any Important Family Documents
- Important telephone numbers
- Record of bank account numbers
- Family records (birth, marriage, death certificates)
- Inventory of valuable household goods
- Copy of will, insurance policies, contracts, deeds, stocks and bonds
- Record of credit card account numbers and companies
- Copy of passports, social security cards, immunization records
- Medical Needs
- Prescription drugs
- Denture needs
- Eye glasses
- Contact lenses and supplies
Before a storm:
- Be sure you have all your insurance policy numbers on hand.
- Withdraw emergency cash to avoid lines or ATM power outages post-storm.
- Turn your fridge to its coldest setting to preserve contents in case of power loss.
- Do a home inventory by taking pictures or video of your home's contents. It will help if you have to file a claim.
ONCE IT'S SAFE - It will be your responsibility to take action to avoid further damage. If you can, cover broken windows or holes in the roof.
REPORT YOUR CLAIM- To do so, you may call our agency at 908-301-0711 and we will be happy to guide you through the entire process and be a helping hand.